2014-03-05

Ika Class Mechanical Squid


The Ika in submerged state.
The Ika in floating state as it attacks.

After last night's post, +Neil Laughlin asked to see some close-ups of the Ika and here they are. :-)

Painting the Ika was very straight forward. Unlike all other DW models, which were primed white, I primed the Ika black to give it a more menacing and less glorious look.

After that it was two coats of red, one coat of Iyanden Darksun followed by a coat of gold followed by Dark Tone ink, and the tentacles were simply drybrushed with some sort of metal color.

For the water I started with dark green where I continuously added dark blue and a lighter shade of grey in a wet blending process until the ripples started to pop out.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I liked reading your primer thoughts as well. I primed my French starter box black, then had a few extra frigates I primed white, and I'm seeing the difference in brightness very clearly between the two primer colors. Even with a few layers, the black-primed frigates are distinctly duller-looking.

    ReplyDelete