2013-12-28

First time Modern Constructed

The stack with prizes.

A couple guys on Google+ wanted to know how my first time Modern Constructed went with my Theros White-Blue deck. Well, here's a short rundown:

The Games

1st Round vs. Martin Kern
Martin played a Blue monodeck where I couldn't block his sea creatures because I had islands in my deck. Obviously this rock-paper-scissors wasn't in my favor at all. I could have done better against him if I hadn't had any islands in my deck, but even then he could have flooded my lands and turned them into islands.

2nd Round vs Florian Locher
Florian played a Red monodeck and used his incendiary spells every round to either reduce my life or destroy my creatures, so I was not able to build up any substantial threat at all. I could have done better against him with counterspells, but I didn't have any.

3rd Round vs Yannik Wedking
Yannik played a White monodeck that included a couple a lands that could change color to Black so he could play his cards that enabled him to look through the cards on my hand and drop a creature with power 3 or less. I think I did best in this matchup, but that and him spamming 1/1 flying tokens to me to an early grave as well.

What I learned from this tournament
I got confirmation of what I expected: good players have a better concept than just mixing cards won at the Booster Draft the previous week. What worked best for me tonight were the Heroic cards in my deck, especially the Battlewise Hoplite and the Favored Hoplite were either doing well or were removed early by my opponents because of the perceived threat, so I decided to shift my deck more into that direction.

My pull

The Wingsteed Rider and Dauntless Onslaught immediately caught my eye, so did Triton Tactics.

My modifications

One thing I didn't modify was my section with lands. I always felt very comfortable with the lands I had, so that worked.

Still in my deck: 14 White, 10 Blue, and 1 Unknown Shores for versatility.

As my rare pull I got the Temple of Deceit above, bringing me up to three temples, but I don't have a concept for them, so I leave them alone. I feel I need to have a strong concept for a land that starts tapped when it enters the game plus I need to have a clear idea on the synergies I want to trigger with them.

These continue to stay at home, though Temple of Silence is currently listed at 4USD. I don't have a concept for a Black/White deck, however.

One of the local players encouraged me to play more spells targeting my own Heroic cards to make them stronger, so I did my heaviest modifications to my spell section.

Spells in the top row went out of my deck, those in the bottom row went in.

After that I did a tiny modification to my troops. I wanted my deck to be more either Heroic or Flying:

The Soldier of the Pantheon left because he doesn't have Heroic, the Wingsteed Rider entered for that very same reason plus Flying.

So my current deck composition is as follows:

Spells.

White creatures. I am feeling especially good about the Cavalry Pegasus here.

Blue creatures. I have the feeling I am top heavy on Mana here...

Last but not least my White-Blue creatures.

So that's it. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment